Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Count

The fishing season is definately nearing an end as the Upper Kenai will close to reds on the 20th. Those there are many opportunities left for silvers and rainbows, the freezer filling is all but done. Let's recap. The seaon started with four halibut off of two days of charters then qickly transitioned in to kings. Two from the Ninilchik and one more off the Copper. The Copper dipping trip added nineteen reds to that last king. A trip to Seattle interupted the opportunity for first run Kenai reds, but there were grand hopes for the second.



The second runs started a bit late but looked very promising once the fish set in. I bagged nine on my first three day outing. The numbers dropped off a bit but was able to put 13 into the bucket over a five day trip. Add another two for a follow on day trip to the lower, however, doom was on the horizon. The Kenai all but closed with the limit going to one in the lower and closed completely below the counter. Fortunately the Russian stayed open. Three trips there yielded five reds including three very bright fish on the 16th of August, which was extremely late for fish that looked that good.



So, what is the freezer talley for this year.

Four halibut

Three Kings

Nineteen Copper River Reds

Twenty-Nine Kenai River Reds



Total Fish to Freezer 55.



Not a bad year considering I started with a tear in my rigth bicep ligament, and am ending the year with needing surgery for CTS in my right hand. Add lack luster fish runs, one of the coldest summers on record, and leaving for two weeks mid season. Gear wise, I'm down one rod and had to replace my ten weight reel. The reel died gloriously at the Confluence where the drag broke on a tail dragger heaed for Australia. The Ugly Stick, the first one I had ever purchased, finally splintered after catching too many fish to count. It was already showing signs in that the two piece weren't holding together well.



My go to gear has evolved as well. I now exclusively flip with the ten weight fly rod with a double taper line. I think I'll trade out the line though for a fast dropping sink tip. The new fly for the year is the Adler Grappler which is basically a Russian coho tied on a 3/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook. Wicked deadly!!



I'm still trying to get proficient at the whole curing deal. None of my eggs have brought success, but then again, I haven't really given them much opportunity yet.



This most definately has been the year of the bear. I have had more close encounters than I would care to have, and am definately getting close to buying the first piece of deadly bear protection.



So, I know I have some more silver trips, but the season is definately drawing to a close. Time to start smoking salmon, tying flies, and telling lies.

3 comments:

Liz in Seattle said...

Umm, starting to tell lies? Isn't that like the fish that grow after death?

Keep us posted on the surgery. Must be old age.

Fish On Alaska said...

Old age or, or, or dang I forget what the other one is. Oh yeah, a memory that's shot.

Liz in Seattle said...

Your picture looks familiar...do I know you from somewhere?